The rainy day I saw him alive in 2000 in Amsterdam (Carré) I will never forget.
I’m sorry, my dear friends. Afterwards, there was no interview. And now I am too late. I tried it three times.
I’m happy the music is still alive.
- Stan Freberg: Clever ComedyStan Freberg was many things. Dull wasn't one of them. He was an advertising copywriter and creative director, voice actor, radio personality, singer and comedian starting in the late 1940s. He also was the father of the send-up single and sardonic TV advertisement. Freberg, who died in 2015, also loved jazz, as many fans know from Three Little Bops, th […]
- Sonny and Horace: 1959On Thursday, March 5, 1959, the Sonny Rollins Trio and the Horace Silver Quintet were in Zurich on a joint European tour. Interestingly, Sonny and Silver were at different points in their careers. Silver had yet to crest and would record the fiery Blowin' the Blues Away in August before riding his funk piano style into the 1960s. Sonny, by contrast, had […]
- Rare Hod O'Brien + Doug RaneyRecently, Joop van der Leij, a dear friend in the Netherlands, sent along a few rare tracks from his private recordings, featuring pianist Hod O'Brien (above) and guitarist Doug Raney (below). O'Brien passed away on Nov. 20 (here) and Raney on May 1. I've written about Raney several times (including here and here). In November 1988, while O […]
- Abercrombie en Copland hebben er weinig zin in fb.me/5vOSEyKp2 2 days ago
- Storm in Amsterdam (2013). Blik vanuit de Staalkamer (pand GGD Nieuwe Achtergracht). fb.me/1z82YObP7 2 days ago
- fb.me/2sqKZG8ih 4 days ago
- Gretchen am spinnrade, zweiter teil fb.me/14J4XD6hX 4 days ago
- immagini storiche di Puccini nella sua villa di Torre del Lago fb.me/5RFOv9mNB 4 days ago
André Previn art blakey bbc bill carrothers Bill Evans Brecker Brothers cannonball adderley Carla Bley Carmen McRae Cedar Walton Charles Mingus charlie parker chick corea chico hamilton chris barber Chuck Israels Dave Brubeck dave liebman Detroit Dixieland dizzy gillespie Donald Byrd Don Friedman Duke Ellington ECM Eliot Zigmund eric dolphy Evan Evans gary peacock George Russell herbie hancock horace silver interview Jaco Pastorius jazz jazz messengers jimmy heath Joe Henderson john coltrane Jon Hendricks Kai Winding ken colyer kenny ball lennie tristano mal waldron marc copland Marian McPartland Marty Morell miles davis monty sunshine mulgrew miller Mundell Lowe NEA new orleans new york New York City Norma Winstone obituary paul bley Pepper Adams Peter Ind phil woods piano ran blake randy brecker richie powell RIP ron carter Sheila Jordan sonny rollins Steve Kuhn Steve Swallow Ted Curson thelonious monk yusef lateef