Jazz. What is jazz? “Jazz is a growing musical force. It will keep expanding and growing for many years to come.” says Mundell Lowe. “There’s at least one element of jazz that has remained the same and that is improvisation.” says Don Friedman.
Jazz is improvisation, it is alive and will stay alive!
This blog is a testimony to the most vivid music the last century brought us.
We will offer you interviews, music and stories.
- Missy, Clark and MaynardIn The Wall Street Journal this week, I interviewed Olympic swimmer Missy Franklin on her unusual childhood and what she's doing now to deal with her disappointing performance at the Rio Summer Olympic Games last year (go here). [Photo of Missy Franklin, above, by Allison Michael Orenstein for The Wall Street Journal] Also in the WSJ, I interviewed Lond […]
- Boy! What a Girl!: 1947By 1946, African-American casts were making musical films geared for theater distribution nationwide, not just movie houses in African-American communities. In 1947, one independent production company, Herald Pictures, hired Arthur Leonard to direct an hour-long film called Boy! What a Girl!, starring bassist Slam Stewart, drummer Big Sid Catlett, the Brown […]
- Horace Parlan: Audio/VideoOn Wednesday, in my post on pianist Horace Parlan and his solo recordings, I mentioned that he now lives in a care facility in Denmark. Guy Jones in Stockholm sent along the following email with more information: "My understanding is that Horace Parlan isn't physically up to playing these days. He's living in a nursing home in Denmark and, alt […]
- Charles Lloyd Delivers A Bob Dylan Inaugural Message
- Alert: Baritonistas Galore
- Monday Recommendation: John Coltrane
- Coltrane’s “Alabama” On TV
- Monday Recommendation: Bill Evans Lost Sessions
- Early Baritone: A Followup
- Nat Hentoff Is Gone
- Other Places: A Whole Lotta Baritone Sax
- Nancy King & Steve Christofferson On The Radio
- DBQ Having Fun In Paris
- The Aftermath of Ghost Ship (and other December Stories)
- The Top 10 Arts Policy Stories of 2016
- Why You Should Consider Supporting Createquity
- Everything We Know About Whether and How the Arts Improve Lives
- Election 2016 Shakes the Arts World (and Other November Stories)
- Createquity Podcast Series 4: Approaching Cultural Equity
- With Trump in the White House, Arts Issues Are Everyone’s Issues Now
- fb.me/6muH1gSXz 12 hours ago
- fb.me/1TZYGeYOm 13 hours ago
- fb.me/3CmT18KKE 1 day ago
- Op mijn negentiende ontdekte ik dit meesterwerk. Het was toen al tien jaar oud. Metheny, Haden, Dejohnette,... fb.me/8ru5SiZbA 1 day ago
- Herder interjazz.wordpress.com/2017/01/20/her… https://t.co/LHCyZJ9MDg 1 day ago